A Rare Glimpse

Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!! And Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

This weekend was a fantastic weekend. Get ready for a sensory overload. I got to eat lots of food, both Chinese and Canadian. On Saturday, we went out with some family friends for an all-out Chinese dinner with so many dishes that I lost count after awhile. :) My favourite dish was ordered, Peking duck, and that satisfied my stomach pretty quickly. He he. Other dishes included garlic dou-miu, lettuce wraps, two kinds of soup, spicy crab, roast chicken with prawn chips, hot pot lamb dish, some other green veggies, seafood and veggies, cold jellyfish and beef...I'm probably forgetting a dish or two...and of course, sweet red bean soup for dessert. Yeah, it was all-out alright. It's part of the culture to order too much. :P

On Sunday after church, our young adults pastor invited out the university/just-started-working young adults to a huge, northern Chinese lunch. The food was simply delicious, and I had my Asian food craving satisfied yet again. On top of that, I went out for a second lunch with my grandmother, great aunt and uncle, siblings and parents for dim-sum immediately afterwards! I will definitely need to walk/bike off all that food.

I felt sad leaving home because I had so much fun with the family, just being with them for meals and connecting with them.

I also met up with two friends from high school on Sunday night for bubble tea. We had a great time catching up on each other's lives. We had the chance to pray, as well as share with each other our struggles, being honest/open/vulnerable. Our talk ended up being ~5 hours long and I didn't get home until 2:30am. It was the most meaningful time of the whole weekend, I'd have to admit.

The turkey dinner happened tonight at an international student dinner held here in Ktown. I helped out with greeting, serving and cleaning up for a free meal (run by a local church and IVCF) to international students who are far away from home and may not have had a turkey dinner before. It was a marvellous dinner with lots of turkey, squash, mashed potatoes, turnip, sweet potatoes, corn, rice, stuffing, salad, macaroni and beef, veggies and dip, pumpkin pie, apple pie, rhubarb pie, peach pie, blueberry pie, apple crisp, lemon meringue pie....am I making you drool yet??

I have so much to be thankful for, and this weekend highlighted a lot of the things and people I love and want to appreciate. Thank you God, for your blessings! You never cease to amaze me and I am in awe of you, Lord.